Cannabis and Health
In strict medical terms, marijuana is much safer than many foods we usually consume….Cannabis in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutic active substances known to man…
Health professionals both drugs and experts are concerned about the effects of marijuana consumption… Among the main health problems are:
- Cancer, especially lung cancer related to smoking, as well as other health problems related to smoking.
- Concern that marijuana, which affects neural functions, may cause brain damage and may be a contributing factor in the development of schizophrenia, or at least lead to some sort of reduced function in cognitive tests.
- “Amotivational syndrome.” This is the supposed propensity of cannabis to dull ambition and motivation and lead to “slacker” behavior.
- The “gateway theory,” the belief that marijuana users may be predisposed to use other illicit substances.
- Marijuana use by pregnant women has also been a source of concern.
- Finally, with increased usage of marijuana and its possible eventual legalization, there is also worry about a possible increase in automobile accidents due to stoned drivers behind the wheel.